Chipotle is not too expensive, but homemade rocks any day right? You have control over the salt, oil, butter etc.
Also, especially if you have a large family or a group of friends over for dinner, its an awesome idea for build your own burrito, huh, that’s what is my next theme for a dinner party.
Till then, how about I break down Tehsin’s recipe for Make-your-own-burrito.
For Tomato salsa: fresh tomatoes, salt, pepper, lemon juice, cilantro, green hot peppers (optional grated garlic)
For Corn salsa: Frozen Corn (microwaved and ready to use), salt, pepper, lemon juice, cilantro
Black Kidney Beans (Use a ready to use can and heat it, or follow my recipe for making ‘raajma’, use black beans instead of red ones)
Chicken cut in cubes (Preferable grilled chicken, but if you dont have grill, no problem, follow my chicken Tandoori recipe)
Green Bell peppers and Red Onions, cut length wise
Sour cream or I like just plain whole fat Yogurt (‘dahi’)
Mozzarella cheese shredded (I just use the one from Kraft, which is already shredded)
For rice: Cooked white rice, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and a little bit oil
Tortilla (store-bought, or homemade using all purpose flour (‘maida’) – Optional
1) Mix all the ingredients to make the tomato salsa (If using the garlic, I would recommend following my salsa recipe, where you would just mix the ingredients and boil for a few minutes)
2) For the corn salsa, mix all the ingredients and keep in a bowl.
3) Please follow the recipe if you like to make your own beans too.
4) Chicken, keep it hot after its cooked.
5) First stir fry the onions then the green bell peppers. They should not lose their crunch, so do this on a high heat.
6) Mozzarella and Sour cream or Yogurt are ready to use
7) For the rice, make rice, and then quickly toss the chopped cilantro, lemon juice, salt and a little oil. (Oil prevents the rice from becoming sticky)
Just create an assembly line (like in a factory). We like to make burrito bowl, instead of rolling up in a tortilla, trust me, looks pretty too, see the picture.